RE: Re[2]: to_number question

  • From: "Poras, Henry R." <Henry_Poras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:54:50 -0400

Jonathan,

Funny, but I reach the opposite conclusion from the same starting point. This
behavior of the optimizer will totally free us from considering what the
optimizer does. We just need to phrase the query correctly. If we ask the right
question (that's the tricky part) and make no assumptions about the physical
execution of that query, we need not consider the physical access path at all.

Henry