Re: Re[2]: to_number question

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:27:08 -0700

Quoting Jonathan Gennick <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Astounding. It's also astounding I've never run into this
> issue before. It's not like I never write subqueries.

It should not be too astounding. If you design your system properly and use the
correct column types for the data ( number types for numbers, date types for
dates ) then you do not run into this issue.

Which is also why I am not in favour of Dan (Tow)'s suggestion that the
database engine work overtime to work around those cases of poor design. There
are other, better ways of dealing with them. You need to be aware of the issues
and the solutions, however.

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling