Re: Re: "Practicing" Oracle performance tuning ...

  • From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RameshGeecee@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:19:55 -0500

Ramesh, I have a much simpler list:

*Learn how to profile the response times of business tasks.
*

Learning how to *profile* will guide you to what you need to learn next, no
matter what the root cause of your problem is (whether it's bad code, bad
SQL, bad database configuration, bad OS configuration, bad hardware,
...whatever; it tells you whether you even *have* a problem). Furthermore,
profiling tells you exactly how much potential for improvement you have
available to you, in units that everyone in the business understands:
seconds of response time.

By learning how to find out what's relevant for *your* circumstance, you'll
always know what it is you need to study and drill in on. It works
everywhere in the software lifecycle from development through production
operation. I hope you will read
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com/search?q=profile if you're interested in
more details.

The principle of profiling even works prior to the development of your first
line of code. I recommend reading Connie Smith and Lloyd Williams's book
called *Performance Solutions* if you're interested in that.

Cary Millsap
http://method-r.com