Re: Re Laptop for Lots of VMs

  • From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: okh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:46:26 +0000

I run applications in XP mode on windows 7.

XP mode effectively being Microsoft Virtual server. (it's a
500+ MB download, and once installed will run virtual server images.)

It's currently the only supported platform for developing 11g forms
under windows 7.

All I'll say is there is a dark side to virtualisation, you are trusting the
supplier to keep their technology up to date. It's (sometimes) another
supplier that you have to rely on as well as the hardware and operating
system provider.

If I had the choice I wouldn't touch XP mode under windows, it is somewhat
inferior to the original Virtual server product that ran on windows XP.

Essentially, Microsoft wants to move people from XP top windows 7, and wants
to give a comfort/uncomfort zone to XP users. So for political reasons XP
mode will forever be C***.

It's another variable, and If I had a choice, I'd be VMwareing or
VirtualBoxing instead. As competitors to Microsoft, they will at least put
the effort into making sure that their product actually works well!

Dave