Re: Raid 50

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:02:05 -0400

Well, its a little unfair to go to management and say that they've
taken risks with enterprise data and its availability.  There's nothing
inherently wrong or unsafe about RAID 5-(whatever) - yes, it is not as
optimal as RAID 10 and yes, the performance is not as good as RAID 10,
but there is no reason why he should be stressing about the day his
RAID-50 setup will be the cause of his database downtime.

In fact, he's actually better off than the stock RAID-5 person, because
his raid group sizes are being kept smaller, reducing his exposure
during rebuilds.

To answer the gentleman's question, RAID-50 is striping across multiple
RAID-5 sets.  It's optimal for situations where many disks are needed
in a RAID group, but rebuild times are a concern, but disk space is
also an issue.

Thanks,
Matt

--