Re: Raid 50

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:13:20 -0400

I would prefer that the implementation of RAID-37 be universilly
implemented.
After all it is PRIME and can't be divided except by its self, there
fore it can  be
ideally used on a one disk system. Think of the savings in money spent
on disks
that would not be needed. With the new 1 TB disk you could have all of
your
eggs in one basket. Simplicity at it's best.
Ron

>>> mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx 07/14/2004 2:43:58 AM >>>
Why indeed stop with RAID-5 when you can do RAID-6 (aptly named for the

factor six it incurs on small writes)?

Then, finally, we could have the RAID-666.

As Cary pointed out to be, the Law Of Bigger Numbers (LOBN) applies
here
- both with respect to number of IO's and number of dollars spent.

James Morle had his birthday party this previous weekend, and while
having one beer we decided to announce (jointly with the help of the
BAARF Party members, perhaps?) the RAID-42 system soon, complete with
an
official-looking press release and all.

It would probably automatically produce competitive marketing papers
from the big vendors, explaining that the simplicity of RAID-510 is to

be preferred to this new, un-tested RAID-42 technology by a startup
company called BAARF Unlimited.

We all know RAID-4 (some of you might be using it without knowing it,
even!), but RAID-2 is less known - it's the first RAID-level that
introduces parity disks. And I MEAN, literally, parity DISKS. It's
beautiful. It must be a historic oversight that it's never really been
used.

Mogens