Re: Raid 50

  • From: Thomas Day <tday6@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:34:05 -0400

My mind immediately leapt to the RAID-555 technology; but why stop ther=
The more you RAID-5 it the better the performance, right?

Snipped for space -

                      Mogens N=F8rgaard                                =
                      <mln                     To:      oracle-l@freeli=
            >           cc:                     =
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: Raid 50    =
                      oracle-l-bounce                                  =
                      07/12/2004 01:34                                 =
                      AM                                               =
                      Please respond                                   =
                      to oracle-l                                      =

The BAARF membership template (ie an email to me :) ) is on -=

we would like people to submit a statement regarding RAID-F also, but
just the name will give them party membership. You, Paul, of course
don't need to do this - I've given you membership number 62, which
should be visible on the website at some point in the near future :).

What a fantastic concept of RAID-50. I've always loved the idea of
selling customers RAID-5 solutions, and then mirror them. With the idea=

of striping across RAID-5 sets, whole new possibilities arise.

For instance, we could mirror this striped RAID-5 idea and get RAID-510=
But why stop there? The striping in itself can give problems, so why no=
use a more secure striping technlogy, namely RAID-5? So we could start
out RAID-5'ing the RAID-5 sets, thus getting RAID-55. THEN we could
mirror that solution, arriving at the incredible RAID-551 setup.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
Archives are at
FAQ is at