RE: RTFM replies

Sorry, sanjay. I totally agree with Mladen.

I'm almost on my 10th year nowadays as well, but I never went in for a
quick win. Before I ask, I read the manuals, I search google, I ask
local colleague's etc, etc. I really hate the mentality to just ask
without putting some effort into it (before hand). I had to learn the
hard way, when I started there was no google, but there were only hard
copies. So I read them or bought the books. Nowadays there are lot of
websites to ask the newbie questions, I reply or ask to them there (for
instance on OTN forums). I think the "quick win" questions should not be
allowed on this mailing list and/or completely ignored.

But then again, I am not the moderator of this mailing list, and because
he allows people to post questions, he probably thinks otherwise. The
other day, I was lucky to attend a 3 day seminar of Steve Adams (btw
that was maybe why Mr. Mogens Norgaard sometimes not replies, because he
was there) and I advised a Russian DBA to enlist on this mailing list,
because it was worth while. I got the same information from Mr.
Carel-Jan Engel. I now am reconsidering if it was good advise, if you
see the discussions that are going around.

The other way around, a time ago I really needed some old Oracle 6
software. This was a serious question. Because it was thought as a
newbie question, I immediately got some stupid replies. Not that I liked
it but I can imagine now why people respond this way. Luckily enough
Carel-Jan Engel was gracious enough to help me out and I was able to
demonstrate a VM environment with Oracle 4 on MSDOS 6.22. BTW my efforts
will be posted, so if you're interested you can download the VM if you
can find the website ;-)

Therefore I can understand Mladens reactions. The minimum I expect from
a college, even if he has just started, is that he makes an effort to
research / educate him self, before he goes for the quick win. When I
see that this is the case, then also I am willing to go the extra mile.
If not (as I see now on this mailing list happening), I ignore the
questions.

Marco