RTFM, Newbies etc

I do feel a little sad watching the whole RTFM/newbie thing. I guess its
just something that lists go through from time to time. Some times they
recover, other times they don't. A while back I did post some thoughts on
dealing with apparent newbie questions (
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/2005/09/oldie-hints-and-tips.html).
I won't repeat them here. I guess my advice really boils down to
treating
people with respect. RTFM doesn't do that - though variations of it (like
which manual, or a link to the relevant docs) can. RTFM says "you're wasting
my time and I think you are stupid". I wouldn't say that to anyone in
one-to-one conversation, I don't see why it is acceptable in email. (unless
you are 14, male and on a video games forum obviously)

Splitting the list into two is I think also wrong, Lists are about sharing
information, not classifying people as experts or newbies. Don't wish to
respond to a waste of time then don't. Just please don't respond to them in
order to tell them you're not talking to them.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA