RTFM, Newbies etc

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:31:11 +0100

I do feel a little sad watching the whole RTFM/newbie thing. I guess its
just something that lists go through from time to time. Some times they
recover, other times they don't. A while back I did post some thoughts on
dealing with apparent newbie questions (
I won't repeat them here. I guess my advice really boils down to
people with respect. RTFM doesn't do that - though variations of it (like
which manual, or a link to the relevant docs) can. RTFM says "you're wasting
my time and I think you are stupid". I wouldn't say that to anyone in
one-to-one conversation, I don't see why it is acceptable in email. (unless
you are 14, male and on a video games forum obviously)

Splitting the list into two is I think also wrong, Lists are about sharing
information, not classifying people as experts or newbies. Don't wish to
respond to a waste of time then don't. Just please don't respond to them in
order to tell them you're not talking to them.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA