RE: RMAN retention policy

  • From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Aragon, Gabriel (GE Commercial Finance) '" <gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>, "'oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:25:09 -0500

The recovery window thing always hurts my head. The recovery window time (7
days) is the number of days that RMAN should be able to recover the
database. So.... it's like this:

Day 1  Full  Can recover to day 1
Day 2  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2
Day 3  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3
Day 4  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3,4
Day 5  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3,4,5
Day 6  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3,4,5,6
Day 7  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Day 8  Full  Can recover to day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
             Must be able to recover to day 2 (so full is needed)
Day 9  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
             Must be able to recover to day 3 (need full day 1 still)
Day 10  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3....10
              Must recover to day 4 (need full day 1 still)
Day 11  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3.....11
              Must recover to day 5 (need full day 1 still)
Day 12  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3....12
              Must recover to day 6 (need full day 1 still)
Day 13  Inc   Can recover to day 1,2,3....13
              Must recover to day 7 (need full day 1 still)
Day 14  Inc   Can recover to day 8....14
              Must recover to day 8 (No need for day 1 full, it's removed
              as are incrementals.)
HTH

Robert
Author Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery
Watch for my new book, Portable DBA: Oracle from Oracle Press
Due out soon!