Re: RMAN restore database preview vs actual restore

  • From: troach@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: jeffthomas24@xxxxxxxxx,"ORACLE-L" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 20:42:20 +0000

Can you give us the following?

Output of
Report backup summary

Have you tried doing a crosscheck backup? May need to allocate 2 channels for
maintenance.

Allocate channel for maintenance device type sbt;
Allocate channel for maintenance device type disk;

Then give us report backup summary again.

From: Jeffery Thomas <jeffthomas24@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:43:09
To: ORACLE-L<Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RMAN restore database preview vs actual restore

I'm testing a D/R situation, specifically a Netbackup redirected
client restore, source being a 10.2.0.4 RAC two-node instance;
restoring to a single-instance.

After restoring the spfile, restarting the instance, restoring the
control file, and startup mount; I issue a "restore database preview"
to validate that I have
all backupsets necessary to perform an incomplete recovery.

RMAN correctly lists all backupsets for the last complete backup,  580
through 584.

However, when I attempt to actually perform the recovery, RMAN starts
at backupset 574, which is no longer available.   So my general
question would be, why
would there be a discrepancy?    580-584 is the last complete backup
and is available, why would RMAN try and go to an earlier backup,
contrary to the
results of the preview?

Thanks,
Jeff