RE: RMAN restart

  • From: "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:36:51 -0800

The orthodox way to restart a backup in RMAN is with the NOT BACKED UP
specification to the BACKUP command.  Your initial backup can be issued with
a command such as:

BACKUP ... NOT BACKED UP SINCE SYSDATE-1...;

This feature only backs up those datafiles that have not already been backed
up in the past 24 hours, i.e. those that the failed backup didn't get.

Whatever scheduler ran it (cron, Veritas) can restart it with the same exact
command if the it exits nonzero the first time.  I think this is more or
less what Oracle would say is their restartability feature.

The 9iR2 documentation for this feature is here:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcmsynta
9.htm#1024200

It is available in RMAN 9i and above.
--