From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Syed Jaffar Hussain
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:33 AM
To: don@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Niall Litchfield; jkstill@xxxxxxxxx; DIANNA.GIBBS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RMAN recovery question...

Hi,

According to OracleR2 documentation:

6.2.1.2 Re-Creation of Temporary Tablespaces in Whole Database Restore
and Recovery

After restore and recovery of a whole database, when the database is
opened, any missing temporary tablespaces recorded in the control file
version of the RMAN repository are re-created with their previous
creation size, AUTOEXTEND and MAXSIZE attributes.

Note:

Only temporary tablespaces that are missing are re-created. If a
tempfile is still present at the location recorded in the RMAN
repository but has an invalid header, then RMAN does not re-create the
file.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/recov0
02.htm#BRBSC03607

Regards,

Jaffar

On 1/30/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        I am running 10.2 (always have been).  I'll try this again
without
        pre-deleting them.

        Don

        On 1/29/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        > Yes. Fixed, I believe, in 10.2
        >

        > On 1/29/07, Don Seiler < don@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:don@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
        > >
        > > For some reason I have to manually delete the old tempfiles
before
        > > RMAN is able to restore them from backup.  I could never
understand
        > > why.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."
intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
legally privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank you.