RE: RMAN question(s)

  • From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:31:46 -0600

Seems you have already gotten some great answers! I might also suggest, if
you are in 10g, that you look at adding compression to your backups (backup
as compressed backupset database plus archivelog delete input). You might be
amazed at how much smaller your backupsets are and how much time using
compression can save on your backups (at the cost of some CPU of course).

When I do RMAN courses I like to demonstrate a compressed vs. non-compressed
RMAN backup. The compression itself can be impressive, the time to backup
savings can likewise be impressive (Ceteris paribus.... oooops, can I say
that.....?)

One of the things I find with some RMAN setups is that they are way over
engineered. RMAN (particularly in 9i and later) is a very simple tool to
use. If people would acquaint themselves with the feature set and the proper
command set to use, you would not end up seeing some of the whacked out RMAN
scripts that I've seen in the past!! :-)

I'd mention a great book that I know on RMAN, but humility prevents me from
doing so! :-)

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
Principal Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Father of Five, Husband of One,
Author of various geeky computer titles
from Osborne/McGraw Hill (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Now Available for Pre-sales on Amazon.com!
BLOG: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com/
Sig V1.2