Re: RMAN question

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx, LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

Unless of course your recovery catalog is gone.... and
then do you use a recovery catalog to backup the
recovery catalog? If that recovery catalog goes, what
do you do? Just joking of course...

We have had some irritating performance problems with
the recovery catalog of late which makes me less of a
fan of it right now. The recovery catalog is another
complex piece that is just waiting to break when you
need it...

My feelings are if you can justify a need for the RC
(reporting, script storage, longer term retention)
then great, use it. If you have a large environment,
the RC probably makes sense.

If you have just a few databases, then there is little
or no real need for it.

My opinion, YMMV of course (and of course, my standard
disclaimer applies here - IT DEPENDS!!)

RF
--- Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/18/07, LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > hmm well it's relative, I backup to tape rman
> backup logs and it always
> > shows the autobackup filename....
> >

> I don't agree.
>
> In a recovery situation, the simpler and easier, the
> better.
>
> Using a recovery catalog makes many recovery
> scenarios simpler and easier.
>
> Everyone is free to dictate their own 'best
> practices' of course.
>
> I've been in recovery situations with CF only, and
> did not like it.
>
> Too many "this would be easy with a recovery
> catalog" situations.
>

> --
> Jared Still

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)