RE: RMAN physical backup verification - incrementals

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:53:31 -0800

If I understnd correctly, the validate command  only verifies that the database
can be restored to a consistent state bsed on the latest level 0 backup,
assuming incremental backups are used.  It does not confirm the ability to
recover to a point-in-time more recent than that.

There was the idea of using until time, but does this really do anything with
the validate command:
RMAN> run
{
allocate channel c1 type 'sbt_tape' format 'df_%t_%s_%p'
PARMS='ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/tdpo.opt)';
restore database validate until time 'sysdate +1';
release channel c1;

This runs.  Restoring the database to a future date could be very profitable
for ESPN or stock market DBA's.
The until time is an upper limit, and there was the off chance that the lack of
errors meant the validate was going throgh the backed up redo logs plus the
online ones and found no breaks, though this was highly doubtful.  I then
switched through the redo logs, so  the online ones did not contain the data
needed to recover, and the online logs were not backed up.  I moved the not yet
backed up archived logs to another directory

I ran the restore validate  statement with

until time 'sysdate'

Again no errors.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center