Re: RMAN impact

  • From: "Steve Perry" <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:14:21 -0600

we have a rman backup for 500 GB 9.2 RAC on RHEL3 (3 LTO II drives) that takes
3 hours to complete, but kills the node it runs on.
io wait % goes to 60%, cpu is low. the server is pretty much unresponsive until
it completes.
We allocate 4 channels and are not using the large_pool or tape slaves.

We tried the same thing but used Disk (seperate LUN from the database) and the
server crashed.