Re: RMAN impact

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:38:46 -0700

On 10/28/06, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nonetheless, I'll stick to my original statement; if you find an Oracle
database containing a large number of tables with no indexes, somebody
usually deserves a kick in the butt.  (That said, in my wanderings, I have
actually encountered more than a few databases containing hundreds or tables
with nary a Primary Key constraint in sight.  Of course, had it actually
been in my power, I probably would have kicked some butts -- I have yet to
encounter a situation where that lack of primary keys was actually correct
-- although I can imagine a few where it would be...)

Some apps do their own PK enforcement.

Though  a number of apps do this, the only one I have personally seen that
does so succesfully is SAP.  I still don't like it, but there's little I can
do about it.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist