Re: RMAN fails because of corrupt block in seemingly free space in SYSTEM

Peter,

I'm going to take a chance here and assume that you intended to copy the
list with your insightful reply. Please forgive me if I misunderstood.

Dennis Williams

On 1/2/07, Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have run into this before.  I agree with Dennis.
The Oracle support answer was to set an event that
ignored the corrupt blocks but this was after running
dbverify and finding no corruption and running a
analyze validate structure against all of the tables.

The corrupt block was in the free space.  Oracle
support said that if the space was eventually
allocated it would no longer be reported as corrupt.

They never had explanation as to why it was reported
currupt in the first place.  Nor, were they able to
explain why this 'corrupt' block could be allocated
and it would magically be uncorrupted (if that is a
word?).  Sounded like a bit more sorcery than I like
in a database.