RE: RMAN clone with ASM

  • From: <krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:06:06 -0600

Ram,

If I recall correctly, this depends on the setting of the db_unique_name
initialization parameter of the restored db. Set that to PSPLAY (or another
as appropriate) before the restore. I remember only setting newname to just
the disk group and not the full path. Example:

Set newname for datafile 1 to '+SYSTEM' ;

I am not experienced with the rman cloning but rather using rman to
replicate (without using duplicate/clone). In my case the db_name had to
match the source since the controlfile was from the source db and that was
also the way rman found the correct database (without using the set dbid
command).

It appears that the restore in the example you show below happened because
of the db_create_file_dest parameter set to '+INDEX' and the link/alias got
created since the newname did not leave it at the just the diskgroup level
but specified the file name.

One other thing that you have to watch out for: The space allocated in ASM
will not get automatically removed if you replace the databases or recover
from errors and can chew up space which you have to remove using asmcmd. And
that led to another problem for me. I navigated to the directory and did an
rm * and it removed the directory as well. So watchout for that one. I think
rm supports the -i (inquire) option. ASM will generate unique names (and
create alias); I haven't found a way to suppress that.

-Krish

  _____