RMAN catalog database upgrade before rdbms upgrade

  • From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:58:45 -0700

Hi
This is our setup
Production database is a 2 node rac on 11.1.0.7
RMAN catalog database is a single node database, also on 11.1.0.7
In few weeks, we are going to upgrade from 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.2
In order to save time, I would like to do this
(a) one week or two weeks before go live, upgrade the rman catalog database
to 11.2.0.2
I am thinking there should be no issues in doing this (for a brief period,
the production database would still be on 11.1.0.7 and the backups from
these 11.1.0.7 database will be cataloged in the 11.2.0.2 upgraded database
and in case of a restore/recovery operation in this 2 week window, I should
be able to use the rman catalog (which would be 11.2.0.2) and recover my
11.1.0.7 production database.)
Have any of you done this before and  do you see any issues in this

Thank you
Kumar