RE: RMAN catalog

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mdinh@xxxxxxxxx" <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>, "Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx" <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx>, "dbinsight@xxxxxxxxx" <dbinsight@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:32:07 -0700

Data Guard doesn't require a license - it's included with the EE database, so
if the EE database can be used for a recovery catalog under the "Special Use
Licensing" documented here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#BABJBGJE

Then I don't see any reason why you couldn't run Data Guard on it too. There
are no limitations given in the above document about not being able to use any
features of the database under this special licensing, so I think it's safe to
assume it's okay unless they tell you otherwise in writing.  I don't think I'd
even bother asking them about it - it seems fairly clear from the docs that
it's okay.  If they audited you and decided it was a violation, then you could
just shutdown the standby instance if/when they told you to.