RE: RMAN backups

  • To: <rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jrsmiley@xxxxxxxxx>, <richard.ignizio@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:43:59 -0700

I think the results I have shown below, although accurate, may be misleading.
After further analysis I noticed that when we first implemented incrementals,
the backup time was not much shorter than for the full backups, however
something changed in January that made the backup time for the Full backups
rise sharply, while incrementals remained consistent.  I'm working with my tape
library admins to see what may be the cause and will reply later with my
findings.  In the mean time, please do not expect your backup time to be
dramatically reduced by implementing incrementals like I have shown below - I
believe there is some other force at work here besides just the incremental vs.
full difference.  It may be something simple like the tape library is busy with
replication on Thursdays when we run our Full backups or something like that.

Regards,
Brandon