Re: RMAN backup to disk and then later copy to tape

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuadar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:45:36 -0600

Yes indeed.  Backup to (disk-based) FRA, followed by BACKUP RECOVERY AREA
(to tape), is the cleanest and simplest way to take care of this.  It avoids
the race conditions (and the risk that your backup-to-tape may be invalid
because it ran too soon), and RMAN remains aware of exactly where every
backup is.

The only problem is that this requires an RMAN-compatible media manager.
The Original Poster referred to "BackupExec"; the last time I checked
(granted, about 4 years ago) this was not compatible with RMAN.  Now, if the
OP was interested in stepping up to NetBackup (or any of a couple dozen
other products), this would be an option.  A very, very, good option.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead