Re: RMAN backup slows database performance to a crawl

  • From: "Finn Jorgensen" <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:18:31 -0400

Brandon,

Believe me, I've tried to find a time when the backup can run when
nothing else is going on, but even the incrementals take 4-5 hours.
I've added a block change tracking file today, so after this weekend's
full backup that should dramatically reduce the amount of time the
inc's take.

Jared, the channels is set to 12, but since the database is mostly
this one bigfile tablespace effectively I'm only using 1 channel 99%
of the time. I will read your doc though.

I'm pretty sure I've not saturated the IO subsystem. With only 1
channel going I'm getting ~400MB/min for this database. I have other
databases on the same storage using the same backup storage too that
use 8-12 channels and get 1800-2000MB/min.

My plan is to split this large tablespace into several smaller
tablespaces and use more channels along with the BCT file which will
reduce the time the backup takes so I can avoid running it while the
app runs. However, I think that's a bit of a bandaid. The app
shouldn't slow like that during backups.

Here's another couple of nuggets from the AWR report if that rings a
bell with anybody :

Top 5 Timed Events                                         Avg %Total
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                        wait   Call
Event                                 Waits    Time (s)   (ms)   Time Wait Class
RMAN backup & recovery I/O        1,652,234      11,557      7   14.7 System I/O
buffer busy waits                    10,628      10,213    961   13.0 Concurrenc

Also, the filesystem is Veritas, which I know does not support Asynch
IO natively, however filesystemio_options is set to async. I know
there are many opinions on this parameter out there, but does anyone
have any thoughts on if this is the best value or if I should change
that to setall?

Thanks again,
Finn