RE: RMAN and Netbackup....

  • From: Upendra <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx" <cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:42:55 -0400

Hi Chris,
I am assuming netbackup is writing to VTL or TAPE.. I will refer it as "tape".
I have  used both disk-to-disk-to-tape as well as disk-to-tape in our
environment. In the later method, the backup jobs are usually initiated and
administered by the Netbackup admin.  If netbackup directly backups up, then
you have less dependency to worry
 about. By writing directly to tape there is no backup image on disk, depending
on your tape's capability the restore may be slow..

If the current backup job has >1 channels, you may have to review it with the
netbackup admin to see if that is ok. If you are using compressed backups, you
may want to check if the tape is going to compress the data again - you'll not
get much benefit by compressing the data twice. In situations like that it may
be better to leave the compression to the tape..

You may want to ask the Netbackup admin to include you in backup job
notifications - success/failures etc. We had them create a summary
report of all the database backups which was convenient to monitor all
the db backups.

Good luck!

-Upendra

From: cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RMAN and Netbackup....
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:10:11 -0400

Today RMAN sends its backups and archive log files to disk and then Netbackup
backs up the database backup directories.  I linked Netbackup with Oracle and I
did some simple backup and restores using RMAN with Netbackup.  Everything
seems to be working.  I have been reviewing the Netbackup 7.5 for Oracle Admin
Guide.   About one third of our databases are still on 10.2.0.4 but being
upgraded to 11.2.0.3 soon.  We are currently hosted on HPUX and glacially being
migrated to RHEL. I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice, pointers,
links, gotchas when switching RMAN to use Netbackups. TIA!! Chris