Re: RMAN - To Catalog or not to catalog, that is the question

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

just finished my 1.6tb restore  this morning and thats when i realised boy rman
is good.
rman has a  lot of good features inclusding skipping free blocks which makes
backups much faster .
I personally believe that setting up a  cataslog is good for  a couple of
reasons.
1. you can get all sorts of reports (management always likes reports).
2.  if you have mutiple databases user it.

We actually have our rman catalog on the same server as the tape management
server . since in a dr you need to restore  a tape management server. yuo will
resotr the rman catalog . plus incase you lose the catalgo you can resync fromt
eh control files of the database.

Rman has a lot of good block checking features  for hotbackups,cold backups and
archvielogs which are good.
I've previously  before rman had issues with forgetting to add a datafile and
then regretting that on a restore.
rman does all that for you.
rman has matured a lot over the years .
it might not be perfect but its still a good solution.

"Smith, Ron L." <rlsmith@xxxxxxx> wrote:
We are getting ready to start using RMAN on several new 9i Linux databases.
I guess the first question would be is RMAN really that much better then using
home grown dynamic hot backup scripts?  We have developed these for our
Oracle/NT environment and they seem to work fine.
The second question would be should we use a recovery catalog?  The catalog
seems to add a lot of complexity to the setup and to a disaster recovery plan.

Thanks!
Ron

Important Notice!
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, any use,
distribution or copying of the message is prohibited.
Please let me know immediately by return e-mail if you have received this
message by mistake,
then delete the e-mail message.
Thank you.