From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Wolfson Larry - lwolfs
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:16 PM
To: oracle_l
Subject: RMAN SCHEMAs

Hi guys,
              I was wondering what advice you had on limiting and organizing
DBs into different RMAN schemas.
            We've got a client with lots of DBs, who wants to move more to RMAN.

Unfortunately not everyone is proficient in RMAN to start with (I got elevated
to #2 in proficiency, but don't be excited about that)
And we've had several cases where a DB was cloned and the DBID wasn't changed.
So I got to fix the Incarnations.

    We've also had problems where a DB was upgraded to 10G but the schema
wasn't etc., etc.

    We've got 3 different RMAN catalog databases.  All 9.2.0.4-6
    Some have schemas with as many as 30 DBs being maintained.
    The DBs range from 8.1.6 to 10.2.0.3

    We've had a number of performance issues and earlier someone had split all
the SAP DBs into their own.
There's at least a dozen of those. The other schemas are generally divided into
specific releases and prod/dev/test.

    I've been thinking about not using catalogs for the dev & test DBs and just
sticking with the control files.

    We want to create another RMAN DB and I thought we might as well go to 11G,
but everyone is very leery about that.
I did like the new import feature in 11G.

    Suggestions and warnings welcome.
  Do have a copy of Note: 247611.1 Known RMAN Performance Problems

    TIA

    Larry Wolfson

intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be

legally privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank you.