RE: RMAN Restore Scenario: all copies of control files are lost

  • From: "Jiang, Lu" <Lu.Jiang@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx, "hrishy" <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:11:54 -0500

I just did the following steps to recreate control file for migrating
10g DB from 32bit to 64 bit machine. I think this should work for your
scenario too.

1)  startup nomount;

2) create controlfile reuse ... noresetlogs ... (from backup controlfile
to trace)

3) alter database open;

4) Add tempfile to temp tablespace manually;

I think no recover command is needed if you have a current backup
controlfile to trace.

        From: Roger Xu <wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: RMAN Restore Scenario: all copies of control files are
lost
        To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Friday, 20 November, 2009, 16:53

        Hi RMAN gurus,

        Say one backs up a database using the following RMAN block
daily:

        backup database archive log all;

        SQL 'alter database backup controlfile to
'/oradata/controlfile.bak';

        All copies of the current control files were in the same disk
and the disk crashed.

        Assuming other parts of the database are fine, will the
following steps work to restore

        the database to the minute when the disk crashed?

        1) copy /oradata/controlfile.bak to the control_files location
specified in the SPFILE (or PFILE);

        2) startup mount;

        3) find out the most recent archived redo log sequence number
(12345) in log_archive_dest_1;

        4) restore database until sequence 12346;

        5) alter database open resetlogs;

        The reason this may work is that RMAN automatically searches for
archived and online redo logs that are not recorded

        in the RMAN repository (in this case the backup controlfile).

        Do you think this is one of the many advantages using RMAN vs
user-managed backup?

        Thanks,

        Roger Xu