Re: RMAN Restore Of Data Guard DB

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:13:00 -0400

Hi Scott!

The directory names are changed through "set newname" command in RMAN. There are at least two ways you can do that:

 * Set db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert parameters in the
   spfile$SID.ora
 * Use Commvault restore mask "redirect" option to edit each and every
   file.

Both methods will send the files to different directory. BTW, I no longer work for Commvault Systems.

Regards

On 7/19/19 9:27 AM, Scott Canaan wrote:

I have a data guard primary database in Oracle 12.1.0.2.  It is backed up with RMAN, via CommVault.  I want to do a test restore to a non-data guard database.  The problem I’m having is that when I do the restore, it keeps trying to create the files on the secondary and fails because the directory doesn’t exist.  I know there has to be a way to do this, but I can’t find it in any of the RMAN documentation.

What I’m doing is connect to the target database, which is open nomount.  Then set the dbid to the source database, allocate the channels, and do a duplicate database.  I think what’s happening is that it’s bringing the control files from the source and then it gets confused because the control files know about the secondary database.

*Scott Canaan ‘88**
*/Sr Database Administrator
/Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration **

*Rochester Institute of Technology
*o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520**

_srcdco@xxxxxxx <mailto:srcdco@xxxxxxx>_| c: (585) 339-8659

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE*: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.