Re: RMAN Performance Maladies

On 2/13/07, Michael Fontana <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jared hit on something that will cause me to do some more testing - and that
is that whilst sqlbacktrack merely backs up the datafiles to disk (a
file-based backup), rman is checking blocks, etc.

This was something that bit me when I made the switch from manual hot
backups to RMAN.  My manual hot backup script would put a tablespace
into BACKUP mode, then copy and compress each datafile in that
tablespace to another slab of disk.  I could backup our entire
database (~800 gb) in 2-3 hours.

With RMAN, a level 0 backup takes almost 9 hours, as does a
restore/duplication.  Level 1 backups took around 5 hours, but once I
turned on block change tracking, that dropped down to  30-45 minutes.

Don.
http://seilerwerks.blogspot.com