RE: RMAN DBID

  • From: John Clarke <jclarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:57:55 -0400

This will work if you haven't lost your controlfiles, but if you've lost=
 your controlfiles you can't mount, and without mounting the controlfile=
 you don't see the DBID.  And to restore the controlfile, you need to se=
t the DBID.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tagging the DBID in the backups won't help =
in the event you actually lose your control file either (without a catal=
og), because you won't be able to mount the database so you can't access=
 any information from the controlfile (which is where these tags would r=
eside).

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong here, but I think that if you don't=
 use a catalog and you wish to protect against loss of controlfiles (whi=
ch of course we would), manually tracking the DBID *outside* RMAN is pro=
bably a good idea.

- John