Re: RE: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:29:55 -0700

There surely is some "cost" involved in evaluating a histogram during the parse phase, but I doubt that it will be significant enough to be measurable. But histograms change the estimates of the CBO and it is quite possible that the presence of a histogram on a column where the content is not skewed enough to really warrant a histogram can change the estimates enough to cause the optimizer to use a different, slower access path than without the histogram.

At 09:14 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:

I am unfortunately speaking from heresay, however I heard once that having
histograms all over the place can slow down parsing as they have to be
inspected.  I was left with the impression that unless the data is skewed
enough to warrant a histogram then there actually is a negative cost
associated with having too many histograms.

Surely someone on this list can either support me or shoot me down on this
one?

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation