Re: RE: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:04:24 -0700

As long as it works for you - nothing.

However - to quote myself:
"Histograms are like drugs ? An overdose [of histograms] can kill [performance]."

And like drugs, the practice may seem harmless and you get used to it, until one day ...

"It seems easier just to ..." is never a good enough reason for me to do - or not do - something.

At 04:14 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:

If you have the window and use monitoring what is wrong with getting
histograms on every table? I'm doing all new development with new queries
getting developed everyday. It seems easier just to put histograms on
everything. I have the window to do this overnight and will have it when we
go live?

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation