RE: RE: Which Character Set for 9.2

  • From: Janardhana Babu Donga <jbdonga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Barbara Baker' <barbarabbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:45:15 -0700

Barbara,

You are correct. US7ASCII is desupported for national character set. The
default is AL16UTF16. Oracle 9i Upgrade automatically changing the
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET from US7ASCII to AL16UTF16, but it is not changing
the NLS_CHARACTERSET (Database Character set).

This is why I would like to change it by myself to the appropriate one and
trying to find some valid reasons why we should go from US7ASCII to
WE8ISO8859P1 ?

And also, trying to find if it is really required to convert from US7ASCII
to WE8ISO8859P1, and relying on what the list experts say.

-- Janardhana Babu