Re: RE : OT: find command on rhel4 not working with mtime

On 7/12/06, Marius Raicu <mariu200@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, I'm on RHEL3 and I use something like this, which works

/usr/bin/find /u08/bla/bla/*.* -mtime +31 -print -exec /bin/rm {} \;

You know of course, that '-exec CMD {} \:' is evil.

For simple commands that accept a single argument, xargs is superior.

eg.  /usr/bin/find /u08/bla/bla/*.* -mtime +31 -print | xargs rm

-exec forks and executes a shell for each file, xargs does not.

Try comparing the execution times of both methods.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist