From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of caseydyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: August 14, 2008 7:29 PM
To: 'Oracle-L'
Subject: Re: RE: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

It's rare that I get to keep up w/these list these days but the mail still
flows and occassionally i have a peek.  i'm responding to this thread b/c as
a manager of a group of dba's, it's quite important to me and something i am
pretty opinionated on.

we work in a reasonably high end environment for a very visible entity here
in Australia.  lots of big systems, big projects, big pressure and so on.
we are highly projectised and delivery focused.  we work in between
networks, storage, OS and development groups.  that's probably like quite a
lot of groups out there, nothing out of the ordinary.

but what i feel as a hiring manager is it is *very* hard to find (i think
reflecting the sentiment of the original poster) _that_ dba.  you know, the
one that goes the extra mile, doesn't faff around, gets the job done, takes
it seriously.

over time i've managed to build an eclectic team makeup that meets our
needs.  but it hasn't been easy.  i've turfed a number of dbas (we're all
contractors so "turfed" (or boned in local nonmenclature) simply means no
renewal) b/c their performance wasn't what i and the business required.

and so often i find people in interviews that are  db "administrators" only.
a lot know nothing about modelling.  a lot really know nothing about
development, storage and even core OS issues.  certainly not all, but a lot.
i also find some really just not good enough in a generic IT sense.  limited
peripheral knowledge.

mind you, some people that had that broad mix, simply did not perform.  lots
of good peripheral knowledge, but man o man delivering a project on time was
just impossible.  another example is of fantastic out of left field
technical knowledge, but hopeless time management.  leaving me picking up
project pieces w/my head in my hands, yet reluctant to rant b/c i know the
individual has "that idea" just waiting in the back of their head.  i had
one quite unique situation where i was told "my 4 hours are worth 8 from
others".  so late arrivals, long lunches and early departures were the norm.
you're joking right?  nope.  boned.

maybe i am describing standard mgmt, but the main point is -- there is no
silver bullet.  it takes time to build a team and even the best hiring
questions/practices might not be enough.