RE: RE: Dead slow count(*)

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:26:55 -0600

Note one caveat listed in the paper of "so long as the extents are sized as
a multiple of (DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT * DB_BLOCK_SIZE)".  This can go
out the window if PCTINCREASE is used.

One other caveat not mentioned is potential problems in dropping the object.
I seem to have a 10-watt bulb in my head dimly glowing that thinks it has to
do with the recursive SQL required to manage the TS in the dictionary.  Of
course, this has nothing to do with COUNT(*), but thought it may be worth
mentioning.

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA