Re: RE: Database recovery problem

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:21:24 +0100

I thought that yechiel had the alter ... statements in the sequence of
events though.

Niall Litchfield

On May 25, 2010 7:16 AM, "Harel Safra" <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Niall,

It's not surprising, I've seen it happen many times.

When the data files are in backup mode the SCNs in their headers are frozen.
If the database crashes (server reboot/shutdown abort/instance crash) it
tries to do a crash recovery when you start it back up. At that point it
looks at the headers of the data files and sees the old (frozen) SCN and
since it's an old SCN it decides you should do a media recovery.

It doesn't take the files out of backup mode by itself since from the
database's point of view it can't distinguish (by just looking at the file
headers) if the database was in backup mode and it crashed OR you restored
from a hot backup and really need to do a recovery.

That's the reason for the alter database datafile end backup command.

Harel Safra