RE: RAMSAN Experience

  • From: Rob Dempsey <Rob.Dempsey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:50:08 +0100

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone I will try and answer all the points
in this mail.

        Oracle Version 10.2.0.1 going to 10.2.0.4
        db_cache_size=30720M
        pga_aggregate_target=28672M

        DL580G5
        2 * Intel® Xeon® E7330 processor (2.4 GHz, 2x3M cache, 80 Watts)
        1 card, dual port 4gbit connection
        64G

Concurrent user 5-10 at the moment

We use parallel query on the table with a value of 8 /*+ parallel(t,8) */. I
realise that parallel query will make use of 'direct path reads' to read the
data into the process's PGA area however I have found that if we set the small
table threshold underscore parameter to a high value the query will use the
data in the cache instead. I am making an assumption that this parameter may
work on a segment level and yes I do realise that there will be a high usage of
latches (I have already used Tom keys run_stats package)

Regarding the queries, the 26G table is roughly around 900 million rows a
number of which will self-join the table so that the query maybe be a 100
million to 100 million join.  This is why certain pga steps are spilling to
TEMP.  I know about tuning using underscore parameters is not the best course
of action however the reason I used the parallel clause in the first place was
to open more pga memory to the SQL queries.  However an 'option' was to look to
add more to try and push the 'global memory bound' beyond 1G (a whole research
project in itself)

From my original email I did say we had resource problems and constraints.
Indeed I am an Oracle Developer / DBA.  Storage is not my core strength and we
do not have much experience in the department.  This is the root problem but
you have to work with what you got.

Thanks

Rob