Re: RAID Reliability Calculations

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:41:36 -0500

Joel,

solar flares.
seriously.
During one week of solar flares, 2 large client sites lost their air
conditioning systems (that were not fault tolerant). This was the only
time in 8 years that I ever heard of such a thing occuring.
Both sites lost hard drives due to excessive heat.
One site continued to lose hard drives at a higher rate than normal,
that likely sustained damage that was not fatal at the time, but was
serious hit points.

fear solar flares.
have redundant cooling units in place.
monitor server room conditions and have alarms sent to pagers.
have systems set to shutdown if temperatures rise above thresholds.

Paul