Re: RAID Reliability Calculations

  • From: "Joel Garry" <joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:19:52 -0800

chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 10 TB of data, 72 GB drives with 1,400,000 hrs MTTF

First, thanks for doing this, I think such exercises are useful and
informative.

But just a small MTTF rant:

I think the manufacturers' MTTF figures are statistically abused.  I
think they throw out some failures that happen, and have unrealistic
physical testing environments compared to the real world.

By the calculations, I should maybe have seen one multiple disk failure
in my career, yet I sometimes see several per year.

If anyone can shed some light on these notions, feel free.

Joel Garry
http://www.garry.to