RE: RAC/ASM Help

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <shivaswamykr@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:26:20 -0400

Right you are. Wrongly stated on my part. As far as I know, only three
things change the layout and structure: 1) Rebalancing following a storgage
change like adding or removing a disk, 2) Opening a new database file, and
3) extending an existing database file.

ASM does not yet react to ?heat? except when the the ?heat? results in
extending the database file. Then when the file extends, instead of possibly
staying on a single spindle in contiguous space avoiding seeks for the
streaming batch case, the new blocks will be spread evenly across the group.
So ASM can in fact mess up planned sequential streaming, but I attributed it
to entirely the wrong reason (wishful thinking and a brain cramp on my
part).

Regards,

mwf