Re: RAC on Windows or Linux

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:08:22 +0000

On 11/1/06, Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Baumgartel, Paul wrote:

 RAC on Linux is far more commonly used than RAC on Windows...you're
likely to be less well-supported if you use Windows.

NIMB (Not In My Backyard) :-))). I see about the same number of RAC
installations on Windows and Linux. Those two operating systems are of
course equally lousy compared to my beloved VMS, so it doesn't really
matter. Nothing will ever be as good as VMS. Sigh.

I have no idea why people think that open source should be of better
quality than closed source, or that something is better because large parts
of it has been coded by people in their sparetime (tired, after working
their normal jobs, etc.), but that seem to be of secondary nature anyway to
the Very Important Fact, that Microsoft can be bashed. It's religion, and I
hate it.

Mogens

I'd say it was a philosophy clash and not a religious one per se that goes
back to http://catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ Eric
Raymond's Cathedral and the Bazaar essay. Of course I happen to think that
the essay is wrong, and that extrapolating from a single project to derive
general principles is A Bad Thing (tm), but  it is at the very least an
arguable case.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA