Re: RAC nodes list?

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx, Jay.Caviness@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 05:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andrew,

I don't think it is possible to get the information you want from the database
since Oracle doesn't know the hostnames for instances that aren't running. With
RAC (I'm not talking about Clusterware), there are no database configurations
that you would use to describe the list of hosts configured for a particular
database. That configuration lies outside the database in the clusterware
configuration (hence the OS commands offered in this thread).

Put directly: The database doesn't know how many instances there are *supposed*
to be nor on which hosts those instances may be started until it actually
happens. All the database knows is that it only has X threads of redo, so only
X instances can be started, but it doesn't care (or know) where those instances
will be started (or if they'll ever be started).

So, if you want to find out which hosts are configured to run an instance of
the ORCL database, you'll have to query the clusterware via the srvctl or crs_*
commands.

Dan

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx