Re: RAC in NAS

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:26:07 +0100

On 7/31/06, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Unless the TA has such an expert in house, or knows where to find one,
there's no one else to turn to than the vendors.

Really?  They could maybe start with their DBAs...   True, I *have* met
a few DBAs who don't know how disk drives work, but I like to think that
such DBAs are becoming fewer in number (or at least do not survive for
long).  Okay, maybe I live in a fantasy world, but at least it's a nice
one.  ;-)
In any event, I would think that most DBAs have the necessary skills
to tell a good storage solution from a collossally bad one.  And sometimes
even to identify those which are "supported" or "not supported" by Oracle.

The places I've worked storage is a system admin area not a dba area. This has not always been pleasant. I suspect it is quite common. It isn't unreasonable for the TA to go to his in-house 'experts'. Unfortunately most sysadmins measure storage in GB, not your measure of GB/min or even better a measure of IO operations/sec

 That said, however, many of the more "curious" technical architecture
decisions I have observed have something else in common (aside from
over-reliance on "vendor input").  They have involved selections of
server platforms or storage arays without obtaining input from the DBAs.
Hmm...

of course and to counter my own argument somewhat, often the SAs are in the
dark as well...

Of course even when you do employ experts/consultants and extensive consultation things can still look rather unfortunate http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5233604.stm

--
Niall Litchfield