Re: RAC environment patching and availability

  • From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>, litanli@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

Li Li,
In current versions, JUST RAC alone can not provide the 24x7 availability. You
need to have the combination of RAC+Dataguard (logical) to have REAL 24x7
availability. Also not all patches/upgrades are 'rolling upgrade' capable.
Have a look at this presentation to undertand the issues in rolling upgrade.
On 9/10/07, Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, All,
> I recently patched our 2-node RAC ( on RHEL AS 4 update 4) to
> I got the impression that you can do rolling upgrade in a RAC
> environment, until I dig into the patch installation document and found out
> that you can do rolling upgrade on the clusterware part but not on the RAC
> database part. Fortunately we can afford the service to be down for a couple
> of hours.
> My question is: is there a way to keep your RAC database up while you patch
> it? RAC itself doesn't really provide 24x7 High Availability? Any comments?
> Thanks,
> -Li

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface, Oracle Press 2004
Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006