RE: RAC, TAF, ... do they really work?

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:36:06 -0700

Jose,

>As far as I know, RAC enables a database to work in a cluster
>mode, making it to a node crash. The client connections
>attached to the dead node are lost, however, unless you
>configure the connections for TAF. The TAF mode rollbacks any
>transaction on the fly, giving an error. If  you develop your
>code with TAF in mind, you can catch this error and re-run the
>transaction by means of the TAF reconnection.
>But, if you have tons of lines of code in tens of legacy
>applications, what can you do to take advantage of this
>stuff?. Is this technology, in its current status suitable for
>this scenarios?. Does it provide any benefit?

Murali Vallath had written a nice article in SELECT on this very same topic.
If you have IOUG / SELECT member access, you can look this up at
http://www.ioug.org (click on the SELECT link).

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **