RE: RAC & RAW Question

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:09:09 -0400

The rules for working with raw partitions vary by the capabilities of the
logical volume manager provided with the OS.  With Sequent we could allocate
a new raw partition on the fly and immediate connect it to Oracle.  With AIX
we have to shutdown everything that uses the file system [for want of a
better term] and then allocate another raw partition.  Some system may
support extending raw partitions while others do not.  Traditionally the
ability to extend a raw partition dynamically did not exist.  Heck, it
wasn't all that long ago that the size and number of raw partitions you
could create was almost a physical property of the disk.  On some systems
raw partitions are fully as easy to manage as a traditional UFS file system.
It all depends on the LVM and if the administrator knows how to use if
properly.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --