Re: RAC & RAW Question

  • From: zhu chao <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andert@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:28:17 +0800

Hi,=20
    If your underlying OS supports it, of course you can grow the raw
device( in most modern OS, it is raw Volumns).
    Here is an example:
  -bash-3.00# vxassist -g testdg make testrawvol 100m=20
-bash-3.00# vxedit -g testdg set user=3Doracle testrawvol
[oracle@ebaysha2**ora10g]$sqlplus=20

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Sat Apr 23 00:25:36 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: / as sysdba

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - 64bit Productio=
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> create tablespace rawts datafile '/dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testrawvol' reus=
e;=20

Tablespace created.
SQL>  select name,status,bytes from v$datafile where name like '/dev/%';

NAME                                                         STATUS  =20
                 BYTES
--------------------- ----------
/dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testrawvol                               ONLINE  =20
             104849408
-bash-3.00# vxassist -g testdg growto testrawvol 200m

SQL>  alter database datafile '/dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testrawvol' resize 199m;=
=20

Database altered.

SQL>  select name,status,bytes from v$datafile where name like '/dev/%';

NAME                                                         STATUS  =20
                 BYTES
/dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testrawvol                               ONLINE  =20
             208666624

to convert a database on filesystem to raw volume, you can use either
rman copy command , or unix dd to do this, Not difficult. Consult
metalink note for detail.

--=20
Regards
Zhu Chao